Polymer Clay Journal Cover


Again, my mate Cheryl has got me working on yet another arty/crafty thing. This time its polymer clay.....and I love it. Such fun and so relaxing. I am in the process of making a Mermaid Journal so I thought I would make a 3D cover. Cheryl suggested the polymer clay as she makes the grooviest necklaces, brooches, key ring thingies, etc.
 

   I have only gotten as far as making the cover. I am yet to paint it. I decided to go with a neutral colour so that I could use acrylic paints on it. There will be toning and dry brushing and metallic paint. Of course, there will be glitter!!!
   At the moment I am unable to use my right hand so I will have to wait until I get the ok from my doctors. Here are some pics of the cover at various stages of completion.....
 
1. I started by rolling out a flat slab and trimming it to the size I needed.
2. I then rolled up a ball and flattened it to the shape I wanted and placed it into the desired position.
3. I used a clay working tool to create the textures. I paid special attention to the edges, making sure it was secured to the slab. Just pressing the pieces to the slab created a very good bond but I wanted it to be totally stuck as this journal may go to a youngish child and I didn't want pieces to come off and become a health risk.
4. I pressed real shells into the layers of polymer clay, making sure they left a good indentation. this is where I will glue them back later on.
 
 
 
I love using this stuff. It is a bit oily but it stops the clay from drying out or cracking. I worked under the air con for about 3 hours and there were no probs at all. Finger prints are easy to remove by lightly rubbing your finger over the surface. I used a tiny bit of water on my finger as a trial and that worked as well.
   The one thing that I did discover was that the "baking time" was a challenge. I baked my cover for 60mins at 120*C and it was still too flexible. So the next day, I baked it again for 1 hour at 150*C and that did the trick. It is a tiny bit flexible but I think that flexibility might stop and breakage when it goes on as a cover. i will use brads to secure it to the cardboard cover, I put holes in each corner of the cover before I baked it.
   On the packaging, there are instructions but I think you need to experiment for yourself.

 
   I will definitely update this post when the cover is painted and all done, so bare with me.....xxx
 
PS. Cheryl used SCULPY polymer clay and get great results. Check out her things on Facebook.
    The brand you use is up to you and, of course, the cost. Neither brand was cheap and we got our polymer clays on sale. My brand was Mont Marte Make 'n' Bake.

 
 
I undercoated the slab with white acrylic paint in a thin layer.
 

Detail of the Artwork - added embellishments
 
Detail of the Artwork - added embellishments
 
Now all I have to do is make the journal and fit it to the cover.....
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEACHING RESOURCE - CLAY WORK BOOKLET - BASIC INFORMATION

Blind Contour Drawing - Portraiture

STUDENT ARTWORKS - NEW CUBISM with Kindergarten/Year 1 Composite Class