VERSION 2: SURREALISM and STEAMPUNK ART - Mechanical Sea Creatures



The more I looked at my  first Surrealist/Steampunk Mechanical Fish Artwork, the more I decided I wasn't happy with it. So, I have modified the original artwork in the following ways......

1. The surface background began life with leaves and natural objects as stencils. I sprayed over them with fluoro line marking paint in layers of two or three colours.
   The shapes which were created by the "stencils" became the coral, sea anemones, etc that you would normally find on a reef. students will still receive the Resource Image below to help them create their reef scene.
2. Added  images of fish which I found on Pinterest as free-to-use vintage prints. I imported them into Photoshop and manipulated the colours. I have included them in the background to re-create the appearance of a coral reef alive with brightly coloured fish.





* Students will still look at Surrealism and Steampunk Art before commencing their artwork.
* Student will still need to create a "steampunk sea animal" using the above Resource Images as a guide. Sketched onto with thin cardboard then traced over with Artline pen. Cut out ready for collaging into the artwork.
 
Teacher Example of a Steampunk Fish

Collaging the coloured fish on takes time as students will need to consider the PLACEMENT of each fish. The colours of the fish also need to be considered as they may blend into the background. At this stage the artwork still requires lots of black Artline outlining

I used a scalpel knife to cut along the edge of different coral pieces so that I could "weave" the fish into the background. I will do this with my students but I will the wielding the knife. They can show me where they want the "incisions" made. I think it adds a 3-dimensional effect to the artwork.
Students will receive printed images from which they can select coloured fish to cut out and glue onto their artwork. (I have about 23 A4 pages of reef fish).
I added some shading around the fish as they tended to blend into the background a bit. I used a 6B lead (graphite) pencil.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEACHING RESOURCE - CLAY WORK BOOKLET - BASIC INFORMATION

Blind Contour Drawing - Portraiture

STUDENT ARTWORKS - NEW CUBISM with Kindergarten/Year 1 Composite Class