CERAMICS - Using the Basics - Slabs, Coils and Pinch Pots

I made these "plates" about 25 years ago when I was teaching Ceramics for the very first time. I thought it was a creative way of learning about basic construction techniques and how to work successfully with clay (terracotta). We didn't use any glazes but painted the plates. We did move onto glazing and making 3-D objects in clay.
   I am planning a ceramics lesson with a primary school friend of mine. She is teaching a Year 5/6 combination class and this art lesson and artwork is perfect for them. They will love doing this.We are both pretty excited about this art project...






I plan on having a lot of discussions about using clay with the kids before we even touch it. They have to understand the limitations of clay, that it is not play dough or plasticine, air bubbles can have a disastrous effect causing explosions and they need to be super organised before and during the artmaking process.
   I will show them how to join clay pieces to each other successfully, how much water to use and where it should be used, etc. My aim is for every student to come out the other end with a great like plate.
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEACHING RESOURCE - CLAY WORK BOOKLET - BASIC INFORMATION

Blind Contour Drawing - Portraiture

STUDENT ARTWORKS - NEW CUBISM with Kindergarten/Year 1 Composite Class