CLAY WORK - Low Relief Sculpture - Year 5 and 6

I promised one of my schools that I would teach clay work to their students and so we began yesterday. Wow, what a big day it was!!! The first class was a Year 5/6 group who I have worked with many times. They are a great bunch of young people and love learning.
   About 20 years ago I made a simple plate that used the basic clay work construction methods - slabs, coils and pinch pots. We reproduced this plate as a relief sculpture.

   We used  terracotta air dry clay but later on we will advance to using clay that can be placed in their school kiln. When their plates are dry, we will paint them. Here is my example and what they have done so far.....

This plate was created using terracotta kiln clay and was painted with acrylic paint after a bisque firing.

 

 This is that plate I made along with the students. It is a "demo" but it is the ONLY way to teach any sort of clay work to students. They



















On the following post, I will put all the instructions and some teaching resources that I used. It will be a pretty long post.....sorry.....
   So proud of what the students did. They really enjoyed their art day. Well done Year 5/6S. Windsor Public Rocks!!!!!!!!
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEACHING RESOURCE - CLAY WORK BOOKLET - BASIC INFORMATION

Blind Contour Drawing - Portraiture

STUDENT ARTWORKS - NEW CUBISM with Kindergarten/Year 1 Composite Class