Microscopic Organisms

Abstract Art: This is an Art/Science lesson, so I talked to the students about what a "microscopic organism" was, what the words mean (literacy) and where these organisms are found. I had some great resource images to show them!!!




 





 You will need millions of water based markers, watercolour paper, black markers, fine tip black pens (Artline pens), posca pens, metallic markers, Sharpies (optional).
   Before we started, I talked the students about abstract Art, what it is, about working via your emotions and using your intuition. They were glued to everything I said. It was all so new to them. The age group were 9 and 10 year olds. I did not show them my artwork example as I did not want any preconceived ideas to be formed by the students. I wanted them to work intuitively.
   On A3 watercolour paper, I had the students colour it with shapes but they were not allowed to draw the outline of the shape first and then colour it. They dealt with this instructions really easily. They need to colour the entire page with water based markers. Water based markers must be used as this technique will not work with any other markers.
   Once this step was completed, students went over their artworks with water and a brush. The water dilutes the water based markers and creates a watercolour effect. The colours are super bright. I gave a demo on how to apply the water to maintain all the colours but, of course, there is always one who thinks it is easier to just put the water on like you are painting a house. He cried when he compared his artwork to his class mates but it was a hard lesson learned.
   I then had students select 3 - 4 shapes within the artwork that would become their microscopic organism. They also had to include a connecting line that joined the organism together. Later on I explained that this became a leading line which their eye followed through their artwork.  I then showed them my artwork.......ooooooohh..........aaaaaawwwww.......so they now knew where they were heading.
 With a black marker, students gently outlined their micro organisms. I had them not press too hard with the markers to create a random, natural outline. Big, thick and heavy lines kill the artwork. Students then drew in details with the fine tip black pens as repeated lines inside each organism.
 

   As a finishing step, students then added additional lines and details with posca pens, metallic pens and coloured Sharpies.
I have lost all the student examples  but if I find them, I will post them. Sorry.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEACHING RESOURCE - CLAY WORK BOOKLET - BASIC INFORMATION

Blind Contour Drawing - Portraiture

STUDENT ARTWORKS - NEW CUBISM with Kindergarten/Year 1 Composite Class