Polygon Art - Maths in Art - Cubism

 
   I haven't taught this artwork yet but my primary schools are getting iPads, so it wont be long before I can introduce students to more technology-based artmaking processes. I created this artwork a few years ago for my Year 7 students but I will definitely be doing it with my kids. They will love using technology and the "old-fashioned way of making artworks" (as they call it!!)
 
 
   1. I start off by talking about the connection between Art and Maths/Geometry. we talk about shapes and how the Cubist artists used shapes in their artworks. this could be extended into an art appreciation lesson about Cubism.
  2.  I then show the kids the program on my iPad - Polygon. it is so easy to use and I only use a particular settings as I know it creates a great image every time.

 
   3. I then take a pic of the student and import it into Polygon. I show the student what I am doing. when students have their own iPad for use in the classroom, they can use the program themselves. When I use my own iPad I like to handle it myself. If something happens, then it is my fault.
  


   4. The image is then saved and printed, ready for the next step. I like to let the students know that this is not the end of the artmaking process. Although the image is an artwork in its own right, we will be adding more media and making the artwork our own. I usually ask the student if they want to keep their digital artwork as colour or black and white. I use the artworks I created to show them the difference when we add the other media. I usually print them at home onto photo paper as this gives a better quality print (A4) and I can improve the colour via Photoshop if need be. Because I often print at home, I extend the artwork out over two sessions. If I don't have the same class the next day, we simply print out in colour using the colour printer onto A4.
  
 

 5. Drawing directly onto the printed image, student redraw the portrait with straight lines only. Some students may find this to be a challenge but drawing with lead pencil often doesn't work on photo paper. Students use a thin Artline fine tip pen and, sometimes, a ruler. At least the lines are straight and mistakes made with a thin Artline can be easily covered up later on.
6. All lines are then copied over with a thicker marker. A marker with a pointed tip should be used when copying over lines around the eyes and mouth.
7. The fun stuff now.......with metallic markers and/or Posca pens, colour in some sections and add additional lines in other sections. It here that I go back to my sample artworks and talk about how I selected different sections to colour as opposed to other sections where I added just lines.
8. I encourage the use of opposing colours. Warm vs. cool, cool vs. warm.
Detail of the artwork above. This was a full colour print.


9. If student are using a monochromatic version, beginning the process is the same.
10. With my monochromatic print, I used a selected colour group - cool colours.
I really love creating this artwork. It is visually stunning when completed.
This artwork shows a black outline around shapes within the portrait. This can be achieved in the settings but I decided to not use it. I wanted my Year 7 students to not be influenced by anything when they redrew their portrait with a ruler and Artline pen. 
 
Just recently I found this image on Pinterest and it could be an interesting modification to make to my original idea.
 
 
 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEACHING RESOURCE - CLAY WORK BOOKLET - BASIC INFORMATION

Blind Contour Drawing - Portraiture

STUDENT ARTWORKS - NEW CUBISM with Kindergarten/Year 1 Composite Class