ABSTRACT ART - Microscopic Organisms - Waterbased Markers as Watercolour

 
 
This is an abstract artwork that uses water based markers on watercolour paper with wax candle drawing.
 
1. Draw on the A3 watercolour paper with a wax candle. I use a household wax candle as they are nice and thick and don't break apart.
2. I drew shapes that I thought might simulate a microscopic organism. I did one shape with an outline just to see what it would look like when the artwork was finished. I don't like it!!.
3. I then coloured the entire A3 page with water based markers. I selected colours that I liked rather than a specific colour group. When I do this artwork with the kids, I will get them using colour groups.
4. I then went over the markers with a brush and water. You need to control the amount of water used and I rubbed the bristles of the brush to get the colour dissolving.
5. The background changes as you go along as the paper soaks up the water and this in turn affects the bleeding of the colours.
6. The colours remain super bright if you take some care in applying the water.
7. Naturally, the water is repelled by the wax. 
8. Around the edges of my organisms, I did some shading with a lead pencil. This highlighted the shape and created a slight 3D effect.
9. Lastly, I drew a black border and curved the corners so that it looked like a medical slide (sort of).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEACHING RESOURCE - CLAY WORK BOOKLET - BASIC INFORMATION

Blind Contour Drawing - Portraiture

STUDENT ARTWORKS - NEW CUBISM with Kindergarten/Year 1 Composite Class